Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On the road

If buses still looked like this, I'd happily use public transport! Of course, you'd then have the problem of getting them to run on time etc...



We tootled up the road at the weekend to the 1940's event in the village of North Thoresby which is organised in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

The weather was lovely if a little blustery.


Never mind buses; if only policeman still looked like this etc, etc....Whatever happened to tunics and helmets by the way? They've disappeared in my lifetime and I'm not THAT old!



There's always some lindy hopping at these events. Puts me to shame. Maybe one day, I'll go and learn.



So, we thought this event would be a gentle run out for the new incumbent of TVL Towers, an elderly gentleman by the name of Morris!
We've been so excited waiting for him to arrive!
He's a 1939 Morris 8 Series E Four Door Sliding Head Saloon ~ I think I've got that right, phew!

(I know his name isn't very imaginative but he is sadly without his original registration number and the one he has just doesn't suggest a name to me. And also I know a lot of people think old cars are always 'she' but I think these pre-war saloons look like little old men. So there!)



It's been a long held dream for us to have a little classic of some description and now he's here, we can't wait to start having fun in him, even if we're rapidly running out of summer.


Although we went just to enjoy the day out, when we got to the public car park we were directed to park with the other classics on display which was rather nice, if a little wearing. I've never had my photograph taken so much. Not good for someone who hates having their picture taken.

"Morris, meet Morris!"


Mr TVL (in cap) talking Morrisses. It's surprising how many people told us this was their first car. Back in the sixties you could buy them for £25.00!
And yes, I was doing my bit by wearing a nice 40's flowery frock, original shoes and seamed stockings, but you'll have to trust me on that....

By the way, you may have heard about the National Trust's campaign to raise £600,000 to secure the future of Nuffield Place, which was the home of the founder of Morris Motors, William Morris, later Lord Nuffield. Morris changed the face of British motoring and was a great philanthropist who gave away the equivalent of billons in todays money. Nuffield Place was his home for thirty years before his death in 1963. You can read more about it and also donate here.